Small bedrooms are common, especially in apartments or condominiums. The limited space is a result of the overall smaller scale of the entire house. But, having a small bedroom doesn’t mean you have to feel claustrophobic.
There are tricks for making your bedroom appear larger. Here are a few:
- Open your windows to let the light in. If you have blinds or curtains on your windows, open them during the day, so your room will feel brighter and, therefore, bigger. If the weather is nice, open the windows as well to freshen the air quality in your bedroom, which will make it feel even more pleasant.
- Go for minimalistic designs. A small bedroom will look wider if there is more visible wall and floor space. Eliminate complex designs and lots of furniture and keep it simple. It also helps to paint your walls a lighter color and hang just one piece of art as a focal point versus having lots of things hanging on your walls.
- Add a mirror. Instead of a painting, why not hang a mirror? Because they reflect light and imagery, mirrors give the illusion that your room is more expansive than it is. A large mirror hanging over your headboard or propped against a wall will work wonders.
- Reduce the clutter. If you have a lot of miscellaneous things in your bedroom, reduce them by half and see the difference in space and ambiance that will result. Even if you don’t have unnecessary clutter in your bedroom, there are still times when even the things you need aren’t always going to fit inside your bedroom. Find other places in your house to store excess things.
- Use furniture with dual-functionality. This means that you can utilize the extra space under your bed for added storage versus adding another cabinet or dresser to the room. Multi-functional furniture helps provide needed storage in your room without the added bulk.
- Save the television for the living room. Keep your bedroom for what it is intended and don’t fill it with a distracting, space-taking TV. This will also help from a feng shui perspective by keeping the environment calmer for sleeping.
- Add something small. A piece of small décor like a small potted plant or a little statuette will help make the room large because of its petite size. In contrast, bigger décor will make your room feel cluttered and smaller.
Oklahoma City Real Estate Agent