Children have an imagination like no other, and as expected, they are curious, active, and playful. Kids can find a way to transform anything into an exciting toy, but if you don’t keep your eye on them, they could end up going through your toolbox or medicine cabinet when you’re not looking and hurting themselves. This is why you should make it a priority to childproof your home.
Below are some useful tips to childproof your home and help protect your kids against common household dangers:
- Identify the danger zones at home. Ask yourself which areas pose a risk to your children and create a list. You want to be sure you address every danger zone, and making a list will help ensure that you do that.
- Purchase cabinet latches for your cabinets and drawers. These devices can be easily installed and must be placed on every cabinet that contains medicine, cleaning supplies, or other chemicals in your house that could be considered a threat to your child. Locks need to be placed on drawers that have sharp objects, such as knives, scissors, nails, and screwdrivers.
- Cover all electrical outlets with protective coverings. This is to prevent your child from sticking their finger in any object that could electrocute them.
- Block stairways. Falling down is one of the biggest causes of injury to young children. Stairways are particularly dangerous due to their height, which is why they have to be properly gated. Just be sure you do not use pressure mounted gates at the tops of the stairs because your child may be able to put enough pressure on them to give way.
- Sharp edges should be shielded with bumpers. There are plenty of bumpers available in stores that can be used coffee tables and other pieces of furniture that could potentially cause injury to your child if they hit their head on it. Bumpers can be quickly and easily installed and will put your mind at ease when your child runs by the table.
- Install door locks and door knobs at higher levels. You don’t want your children to leave the house or enter rooms that are off limits without you knowing about it. Door knob covers are also important fixtures that deny children the ability to enter certain areas.
Oklahoma City Real Estate