Basements are often used by most homeowners as storage space to help keep their unused things safe and undamaged. However, when they are not properly maintained, basements can actually cause more harm than good. Basements can tend to collect moisture, which can be damaging to many materials; as a result, many people use dehumidifiers as a way to reduce the moisture levels in their basements.
Installing a dehumidifier in your basement will help remove excessive moisture that causes a lot of basement problems, such as window condensation, musty odors, and mold growth, which can cause serious health issues. Here are some tips to determine which dehumidifier will best serve your needs:
- Consider the size. The size of dehumidifier depends on the type of moisture problem in your basement. Even small basements may need medium sized units if there is a large leak. There are small, medium and large models capable of carrying as much as 75 pints of moisture.
- Look for a dehumidifier that can operate in cold temperatures. Different dehumidifiers are designed to function under different conditions. If you plan to operate the dehumidifier in the basement, opt for one that won’t freeze in the excessive cold, as that could damage or break the unit, which would leave you with repair or replacement costs.
- Pick a basement dehumidifier that has an auto turn-on feature. Power failures can happen regularly, even if only for a split second, and you don’t want to have to go down to the basement to manually switch on the dehumidifier every time that happens. Some dehumidifiers also have the ability to sense relative humidity levels and can automatically turn on and off as needed.
- Find out how much noise the unit will make. A dehumidifier can be very noisy when it is working. If you don’t have the ability to close off your basement from the rest of the house, you should definitely consider purchasing a quieter unit option.
- Make sure that the humidifier has Energy Star ratings for power efficiency. This will help you cut down on its power consumption without compromising its efficiency and will save you money on your electricity bill as a result.
Not only will a dehumidifier help prevent damage to your interior decor and stored belongings, but it will also help improve your family’s general health and wellness by preventing harmful mold from growing.
Oklahoma City Real Estate