When decorating a bedroom, you must consider both functional and aesthetic factors. Bedroom curtains are often used for different (and sometimes multiple) purposes. They are most commonly used to decorate the room and create a pleasant ambiance or to serve as a way to block light while sleeping. Curtains also offer privacy and minimize disturbances.
When choosing curtains for your bedroom, you should keep several criteria in mind:
- Size – Measure the length and width of the window or wall you want to cover. This will help save time when shopping for curtains because you can immediately eliminate options that won’t physically fit the area.
- Lighting – Decide what kind of light effect you want in the room and how much light you want to keep in or out. If you want a soft glow, opt for sheer, flowy curtains in lighter colors. If you want to be able to eliminate light in the bedroom, opt for heavy drapes.
- Location – Consider where the bedroom is located, as that will influence how exposed it is to light. This will also factor into whether you choose heavier or lighter materials.
- Decor – The color of the curtains should match the decor and furnishings of the room. Most people opt for plain bedroom curtains rather than patterned ones to give a more restful feel to the room.
- Privacy – Figure out how much privacy you need in your bedroom. If you have a window that facing a busy street, then it would be wise to choose curtains that will cover the window completely. If you live in a place where privacy is not as much of an issue, you can opt for decorative curtains that never need to be closed or that only cover part of the window.
Oklahoma City Real Estate