The University of Central Oklahoma’s Old North is the first higher education building constructed in Oklahoma. The institution was built in the summer of 1892 and was the first building of the Territorial Normal School, UCO’s previous school name. It was then occupied in January 1893, offering two years of college work and complete preparatory education.
However, due to its old age and structure, the Old North was closed in 2000. UCO’s officials are aiming to restore the building and bring back the functionality and beauty of the historical school icon.
Recently, the University of Central Oklahoma Foundation has nearly raised its fund goals in its restoration projects. A $500,000-grant was given by the E.L. and Thelma Gaylord Foundation, which creates a significant effect on the restoration project. The University has raised more than $39 million for the project, a very close to its project’s goal of $40 million.
UCO has started its $0 million Always Central campaign in order to raise funds for the proper restoration of the Old North. The project will be done in two phases. Phase one involves the needed exterior repairs as well as the addition of an outdoor amphitheater and 16,000-square-foot annex while phase two covers the interior renovation.
Renovations for the interior remodel will take place once the $6 million in funds is obtained. The expected completion of the second phase will take two years.
Oklahoma City Real Estate