Homeowners must replace their old roofing shingles at one time or another, most especially if they have been exposed to intense heat, rain, sunlight, cold wind, sleet, hail or snow. If you are looking to replace your conventional asphalt roof, then consider using eco-friendly roofing materials.
Families across the country are turning to environmentally friendly material when re-roofing their homes. There are several eco-friendly roofs available which are affordable and fit most home renovation budgets.
Here are some eco-friendly roofing materials that you could use on your home:
- Slate tiles. This green roofing option will suit homeowners who are interested in distinctive, durable roofs with low maintenance. While slate is expensive, it is also one of the most durable roofing materials you can use. It can last for several years, is recyclable, and its non-leaching qualities allow it to be easily repaired if necessary.
- Clay tiles. Clay tiles are also eco-friendly and durable roofing materials. While being easy on the pocketbook, they don’t last as long as slate. They have insulating properties and class-A fire rating. They come in light colors that can reflect as much as 50% of the sun’s energy.
- Metal Roofing. Metal roofing materials are one of the best green materials for your home as they are mostly made from recycled materials. They come in various types ranging from aluminum and copper to steel. They are very durable, lightweight and can be recycled at the end of their lifespan.
- Recycled Shingles. These are one of the most popular eco-friendly roofing materials. They can be made of wood fiber, plastic, rubber and even from waste obtained from home and factory waste.
- Rubber roofing. This roofing created from old steel-belted radial tires is gaining popularity with homeowners. Rubber roofing come in various colors and textures made from ground slate coating. Check with your building department before buying rubber roofing materials to make sure if they are permitted in your region.
Choosing one of these environmentally friendly roofing options will allow you to roof your home in a way that is gentle to the environment. These roofs will also help save you money on energy bills.
Oklahoma City Real Estate